Thursday, March 25, 2010

Have you said this way?

1. "I pay your salary. You have to do what I say." Have you not heard? It's the 21st century. Threats and power plays just do not cut it anymore (and they were always a terrible way to manage). Yes, you pay people's salaries but that doesn't mean you're their lord and master. You are their leader, however. Leaders lead by inspiring, teaching, encouraging, and, yes, serving their employees. Good leaders never need to threaten. So keep your word, set a good example, praise in public, criticize in private, respect your employees' capabilities, give credit where credit is due, learn to delegate, and when you ask for feedback don't forget to respond to it. (Another sentence to be avoided: "Do what I say, not what I do.")
2. "I don't want to listen to your complaints." Hey, boss, you have this backwards. You do want to listen to employees' complaints. That's part of your job. You should be actively seeking feedback, even negative feedback. It may be annoying, even painful, but that's why you get the big bucks. Complaints point to where your processes and practices need improvement. And even if a problem absolutely can't be helped, allowing your employees to vent can go a long way toward restoring morale and building loyalty.
3. "I was here on Saturday afternoon. Where were you?"
4. "Isn't your performance review coming up soon?"
5. "We've always done it this way."
6. "We need to cut costs" (at the same time you are, say, redecorating your office).
7. "You should work better."


======================================================================
"Well, I'll try,"
"Whatever"
"Maybe" and "I don't know"
"I'll get back to you"
"If"
"Yes, but . . ."
"I guess . . ."
"We'll see . . ."

======================================================================

No comments: